Saturday, April 28, 2007

Don't read into this... it means nothing!!!

Okay. Lets try and get back to my original point. What I really was saying is that we sometimes have a tendency to look for meaning beyond the simple ones something already has. Yes, everything has 'meaning' as you may want to define it. What I was referring to, which yes is subjective, was the more profound, deeper meaning we may search for. Take, for example, a poem... we as readers may take something from the verse, above and beyond anything that the poet originally intended. We may search and search for the profundity hidden between the lines, only to realise it just isn't there. It is what it is, and that is its meaning...

So I suppose it was wrong, and a little confusing to use the term 'meaningless'... but right in saying "there are some things that it is pretty impossible to place meaning in."
By which I mean a secondary meaning so to speak- a subtext- an underlying thought.

I guess my point was that although we should never judge any book by its cover, at the same time, sometimes there is nothing to read between the lines.

Hrmmn. Hope that clears it up!!! And I apologise for my consistent use of tacky, cringe-worthy metaphors!

Now I must sleep as I have to be up in... four and a half hours. Wooooo! xxxx

No comments: