Friday, December 29, 2006

Cornwall

Today I went to what has to be one of my favourite places in the world (of what I've seen). It is a place that, for me, holds many dear memories of family holidays, being young, innocent and optimistic, full of hope and family and future. That makes it sound as if I no longer have these things, which I am not saying... I am still young, I try to be optimistic (and think I am more so than I may let on), and I believe I'm relatively innocent... but anyway, I digress. The point is that Cornwall, in particular Polzeath and surrounding areas, holds many happy memories for me. Not to mention the fact that it is a beautiful coastline... So anyway, yes I went there today... we had a lovely lunch in a pub in Port Gavern, which is a tiny, untouched village right on a little beach. Afterwards, we drove to Polzeath beach, where we took the dogs down to the water and ate ice cream in the freezing cold, buffetting wind and driving rain. The waves were huge and violent and, for want of a better word, inspirational.

We then took a walk along the cliffs to Pentire head, with the wind blowing (what felt like) 100mph, and gigantic waves crashing into the rocks beneath us. Completely awe inspiring and amazing. At points the wind was so powerful that you could lean into it, and it would hold you up, keep you from falling. There is something about that, and just the general force of nature, and the stark beauty that it can have, that has touched me today, and that is the reason why I love this place so much. I am sure it is the same for many places along the coastline, but for me... this is it. Anyway, just thought I'd share...

In other news... On Wednesday, my family and I went down to Milverton (a village near Wellington in Somerset) to have lunch with relatives (varying from 94yr old great aunt to 21yr old second cousin, and everything in between) which was daunting, given that I had only met about 3 of them before, and only once before... but it was still good, and very important... family is.

Tomorrow some very good friends of our family are coming to stay for the New Year period, which I am really looking forward to... so all in all, all is good! I hope everyone else is well!

Love, xxx

1 comment:

Tim aka 'pigeon boy' said...

Vicky's blog...I love reading you and you are a very special blog, so there is no need to feel inscure!

Sounds like a fun few days-i love that bit of cornwall too